Future Earth Australia has been established with funding from the Australian Council of Learned Academies to coordinate Australia’s participation in the global Future Earth Initiative, a new international platform for building and connecting global knowledge to intensify the impact of research and find new ways to accelerate sustainable development.
Future Earth aims to ensure that knowledge is generated in partnership with society and users of science by working together with existing global environmental change research programs and coordinating new, interdisciplinary approaches to research three themes:
- Dynamic Planet
- Global Sustainable Development and
- Transformations towards Sustainability.
A Future Earth Australia Expert Working Group, chaired by Dr John Finnigan FAA (CSIRO) and Professor Mike Manton FTSE (Monash University), has been established with representation from Australian business, government and community sectors. The Expert Working Group is responsible for developing Future Earth Australia’s strategic business plan and coordinating engagement with Australian stakeholders – you can view the final strategic plan here.
Expert Working Group
- Dr John Finnigan FAA (Chair) – CSIRO Oceans and Atmosphere, Canberra
- Professor Michael Manton FTSE (Co-Chair) – School of Earth Atmosphere and Environment, Monash University
- Professor Stephen Dovers FASSA – Director, Fenner School of Environment and Society, Australian National University
- Dr Dave Griggs – Professor of Sustainable Development, Monash University
- Professor Lesley Hughes – Department of Biological Sciences, Macquarie University
- Professor Karen Hussey – Global Change Institute, University of Queensland
- Professor Iain McCalman FAHA – Sydney Environmental Institute, University of Sydney
- Dr Ross Smith – President, Science and Technology Australia, Director – Hydrobiology Pty Ltd
- Dr Mark Stafford Smith – CSIRO Land and Water Flagship, Chair – Global Future Earth, Science committee.
- Dr Tas van Ommen – Australian Antarctic Division, Chair, Academy of Science’s National Committee for Earth System Science
- Ms Angharad Wynne-Jones – Arts Producer, Facilitator and Consultant
Project services provided by AAS on behalf of ACOLA